Who would have thought that I’d still be blogging after 10 years? Not me, that’s for sure. But, I am still enjoying finding and telling stories about my ancestors. I absolutely love the feedback and connections I’ve made.
Blogger keeps track of comments, but once you have over a thousand, they quit counting. I am happy to say I went over a thousand a few years ago. THANK YOU! Not only do I read every comment, I also reply to every single one. You all make me smile with your questions and your input. Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment.
Let’s look back at some highlights from the last decade.
Two of my blog posts have stayed at the top of the count for most read. They are:
- DIGITAL FOLDER ORGANIZING & NAMING MADE EASY with 30,856 pageviews
- ADDING SIBLING LINKS TO FINDAGRAVE with 24,624 pageviews
I’ve been contacted by cousins I never knew existed because they found my blog from doing a search on Google or seeing a link on Facebook, Twitter or Pinterest.
Speaking of those traffic sources – which one stands at the top?
- That would be Facebook – where I connect with many of my readers
- Followed by Google, Cyndi’s List and Pinterest
In 10 years I’ve written 582 blog posts. Considering I didn’t get serious about writing until the fall of 2013 (only 22 posts for the three years 2010, 2011 and 2012). I’ll divide 582 by 7 which means I’m averaging about 83 posts a year.
Want to see my first post from January 12, 2010? Here’s the link to Blogging about family research - Day 1 It’s fun to look back at those first posts and see how far I’ve come.
- I’ve redesigned my blog several times over the years, creating new headers and new tabs.
- I’ve learned a LOT by reading other blogs, which I still do regularly.
- Attending conferences and seminars has allowed me to meet other bloggers, many of whom I greatly admire.
- I’ve helped other genealogists start their own blogs.
- I’ve taught classes about the importance of getting your stories out there with blogging being one way to do that.
(Click on this image to enlarge it)
|Left to right - my previous blog header, my genie office where it all takes place and my very first published blog book|
So, it’s been a great 10 years. Enough of looking back, let’s look ahead.
We can’t know what the future holds for any of us. I plan to keep telling my ancestor’s stories and bringing them to life. By sharing their names and something about their lives, we honor and remember them.
There’s a lot more to find out there. After 17 years of researching I still have brick walls.
DNA has added a new tool for us and learning about it has been my focus for some time now.
I applied to the Mayflower Society this year and am writing about my journey to become a member.
My hope is that I will continue to write stories of interest. That I will connect with more cousins. And that my readers will keep coming back for more.
Words cannot express my appreciation for every one of you.
So here’s to another 10 years! Cheers!
Copyright © 2010-2020 Diane Gould Hall
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO USE WITHOUT PERMISSION