|GOULD RD. SIGN - LOCATED IN ARMADA, MACOMB, MICHIGAN|
- Looked at census records for the years 1840-1920 that could possibly contain his name. Including tracking the Gould heads of household for the census years 1830 and 1840 in Michigan.
- Located him in the 1860, 1870, 1880, 1900 and 1910 census records in Michigan.
- Located his Civil War Draft Registration card
- Located a purchase and sale of land in Macomb County, Michigan in 1863 and 1871.
- Located him on Agriculture census records in 1850 and 1870.
- Ordered and received his marriage record to Sarah M. Hart
- Located him in Detroit City Directory listings beginning in 1878. With the final City Directory listing I could locate in 1912.
- Researched his wife, Sarah M. Hart’s entire family, including siblings and their spouses.
- Located the death record and obituary for his wife Sarah in 1911.
- Found out everything I could about his son, William V. Gould and his family.
- I’ve hired two professional researchers back in Michigan to assist me. They added a little bit of information, but found nothing about his parents.
- I’ve gone back to Michigan and gone to the courthouse in Macomb County and researched probate records for a Gould family I have always strongly believed could be connected. No mention of John in the records.
- I’ve posted inquiries on RootsWeb beginning in 2006.
- Sent emails to Macomb County genealogy group – no records found
- Gone to the Mt. Clemens Library in Macomb County and looked for records, books etc. – Nothing found
- Talked to people in the Armada Village office, asking about the naming of Gould Rd. in the town of Armada. They could provide no information.
- Checked all Goulds buried in Michigan on the FindAGrave site. I have entered a memorial for him (burial unknown) and there is one that is a duplicate of mine, which I’ve asked to be removed.
- Checked marriage records for the same time frame that he and Sarah were married, looking for possible siblings for John.
- Sent numerous other emails to people I’ve found on mailing lists or websites.
- Located a possible death certificate on seekingmichigan.org. This John Gould died in Eloise State Hospital. Much of the information on this certificate fits, but no parents are listed. I have contacted people who may have information on Eloise Hospital records or burials and come up empty.
- I’ve also read several books about brick walls, hoping for some spark that might lead me to John’s parents.
- Had my brother, direct descendant of John C. Gould, provide DNA. We have the results and are currently reviewing them and trying to figure out matches.
And here are his direct line male descendants with their relationship to him:
If you have any ideas, suggestions or strategies to knock down this wall, please contact me.
OTHER POSTS THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST
Breaking Down A Brick Wall - Finding Elizabeth Fitzcharles Parents
Setting Goals, Focusing, Organizing - How Do We Handle These Issues?