I’ve been to Salt Lake City and the Family History Library twice. Once in 2011 and again in 2015. But, never during a big seminar or conference. This at least makes me familiar with the library, the Plaza hotel and the surrounding area. My friend Pam is joining me, coming in from Colorado. She started her genealogy journey not long ago and is anxious to learn more. I expect we will both be overwhelmed by the sheer number of people, classes and activities.
THINGS I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO
- Meeting face to face some of the people who have been my virtual friends for several years.
- Attending the plethora of classes that are offered each of the four days. It’s very difficult to choose which ones to attend.
- Walking through and experiencing all the vendors in the exhibit hall. I’ve hear reports there will be as many as 200 of them.
- Being able to share my passion for family research with my friend of over 30 years and helping her with her research.
- Spending time at the FHL and hoping to find some of the hidden treasures and dare I hope….break down a brick wall.
- Being around others who share my love for our ancestors and making sure they are never forgotten.
- I long ago made my reservation for the conference and my hotel reservation at the Plaza. And, of course, my plane reservation.
- Over the past several months I have been making a list of the people, places and things I want to look for. Whether it’s microfilm or books. I keep this list in Evernote so it is with me on all my devices.
- I do all my work on my desktop PC. Of course I’ll need to take my laptop and I’ll be taking my iPad. I’ve made sure that everything that’s on my desktop is also on my laptop. All the programs I use for editing, my Legacy program etc. are all synced up.
- I’ve made new “business” cards so that I can share them with the people I meet. My genealogy is not really a business, but it’s an easy way to share websites, email and phone numbers with others.
- I’ve downloaded the Rootstech app to all my devices.
- I’ve pre selected the classes I’d like to attend. They are first come first serve, so I also need to be sure I have a second choice for that time slot.
- I’ve washed and packed all my clothes. It’s not easy for a southern California girl to prepare for the cold weather in Utah this time of year. I hope I’ve chosen wisely and brought enough layers.
- I’ve secured my ride to the airport.
- Now…..I just wait until Monday for my flight and let the fun begin.
If you will be attending, please look me up on the Rootstech app and get in touch. The more people I meet the more fun I’ll have.
Copyright © 2010-2018 Diane Gould Hall
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO USE WITHOUT PERMISSION