MY GOAL: CAN I PROVE A RELATIONSHIP BETWEEN MY 2ND GREAT GRANDFATHER & A REPORTED FIRST WIFE? SOMEONE HE IS SAID TO HAVE MARRIED & HAD 4 CHILDREN WITH, PRIOR TO MARRYING MY 2ND GREAT GRANDMOTHER.
I WILL SHARE WITH YOU, IN THIS POST AND UPCOMING POSTS, HOW I FOLLOW THE LEADS AND WHAT I FIND.
Here’s how it began today
I wanted to find out more information about a first wife for my 2nd great grandfather, Henry HART. According to some online trees at Ancestry.com and information I have rec’d from a descendant of the first wife, her name was Sally “Sarah” SUMNER.
I knew that, according to this information, Henry & Sally had four children, Lucy A., Hiram Harper, Benjamin Tyler and Nancy Malinda.
What I have: This is the typed family group sheet I received from my cousin, Judy. There is a lot of information on this page. HOWEVER – no sources are included.
NOTE: There are very specific dates on this sheet, so you have to assume they came from somewhere. The question is: WHERE?
What I don’t have:
- Proof of the marriage of Henry HART & Sally SUMNER
- Birth records for any of the four children
- Records that will provide the information listed above
- Records that will link any of the children to their parents, such as marriage records listing the parent’s names or death records listing the parent’s names, census records with children living with the parents, cemetery records, probate records.
- It would be nice to have more than one source that provides evidence of the family bond.
I began with the first child I had listed. Lucy A. Hart born 5 Sep 1816 (this date comes from information from a cousin named Judy, and has not been verified or sourced). Further reference to this source will just say "cousin Judy.”
- I looked on familysearch.org for any record of Lucy A. Hart. I searched using many criteria beginning with what I knew, her name, her date of birth (I only entered the day), her probably place of birth, Canada, and her parents names. During the process of the search I added & deleted many different criteria, like first names, places and even dates.
Results for this search – Nothing that matched. Now what?
Let’s go over to my tree on Ancestry and see what I have for her. Are there any new hints on the tree?
Here is a screen shot of my entry for Lucy and the hints attached.
As you can see I only have her name & date given to me by cousin Judy. The only hints given are several Ancestry Family Trees (which I’ve already reviewed and have nothing more to offer) and the exact same typed family sheet I already have.
I conducted a search on Ancestry and did not find anything new for Lucy.
TIP: Since I have 3 other children listed for this couple, my time can be better spent by moving on to the next child, for whom I have more information. I can come back to Lucy later. Maybe in researching her siblings I will find more information on her too.
In the next post of this series, I will move on to the second child, Hiram Harper Hart. I have a lot more information to begin my research on him.
Until then, keep searching,
Copyright © 2013 Diane Gould Hall