I have a very close friend who is having a 70th birthday today. I thought I would use this date and see who in my family was born, married or died on this date. And, what happened in history on August 6th?
WHO WAS BORN ON AUGUST 6TH?
And how are they related to me?
CLARK, William W., born 1844 in Lawence Co., Ohio (several times removed cousin)
EASTLAND, Elizabeth, born 1860 in Millville, Cumberland, New Jersey (husband’s great granduncle’s wife)
HOEFLER, Wilma O., born 1894 in Dearborn, Wayne, Michigan (wife of 1st cousin, twice removed)
HOLLAND, Thelma, born 1901 in Chesapeake, Lawrence, Ohio (wife of 2nd cousin, 3 times removed)
LEONARD, Abigail, born 1737, unknown location (distant relation by marriage)
MUSHINSKY, Christopher P., (living)
PRATT, Alonzo, born 1889 in Richmond, Macomb, Michigan (distant relation)
ROIG, Raymond B., (living)
NOTE: For those people I’ve indicated are “distant relations” it would mean that they are either cousins several times removed or they are in- laws or grandparents of spouses of cousins, several times removed. They are probably in my database because I was conducting some collateral family research in order to try to locate information. Legacy can tell me exactly how they are related, but I just chose to indicate them in this way.
I’m surprised to say that there are no marriages or deaths in my Legacy database for August 6. This is the first time I’ve run a date and found two of the three items with no names associated.
So, what are some of the events in history that happened on this day?
(All information courtesy of Wikipedia)
FAMOUS PEOPLE BORN ON THIS DAY
- 1917 – Robert Mitchum, American actor and singer (d. 1997)
EVENTS ON THIS DAY
- 1787 – Sixty proof sheets of the Constitution of the United States are delivered to the Constitutional Convention inPhiladelphia, Pennsylvania.
- 1862 – American Civil War: The Confederate ironclad CSS Arkansas is scuttled on the Mississippi River after suffering catastrophic engine failure nearBaton Rouge, Louisiana.
- 1901 – Kiowa land in Oklahoma is opened for white settlement, effectively dissolving the contiguous reservation.
- 1914 – World War I: Serbia declares war on Germany; Austria declares war on Russia.
- 1945 – World War II: Hiroshima, Japan is devastated when the atomic bomb "Little Boy" is dropped by the United States B-29 Enola Gay. Around 70,000 people are killed instantly, and some tens of thousands die in subsequent years from burns and radiation poisoning.
- 1988 – The Tompkins Square Park Riot in New York City spurs a reform of the NYPD, held responsible for the event.
- 2010 – Flash floods across a large part of Jammu and Kashmir, India, damages 71 towns and kills at least 255 people.
What events happened in your family on this day? I’d love to hear about them.
OTHER POSTS THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST
ON THIS DAY ....In the History of our Family - September 11
An Exact Death Date in a City Directory Listing
Copyright © 2010-2016 Diane Gould Hall
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO USE WITHOUT PERMISSION