EXCITED! That’s the word I’d use to describe how I’m feeling this week. On Sunday, I am flying to Salt Lake City to attend Rootstech 10. The conference doesn’t begin until Wednesday. But, who can resist going a couple of days early to have time at the Family History Library? I can’t.
This will be my 2nd time attending Rootstech. I went two years ago. Even more fun is that I’m being joined, as in 2018, by my friend, Pam, from Colorado. Two very long time friends enjoying something their passionate about in a place that will be a alive with activity and fun.
I wrote a blog post before my last trip. As I review what I did to prepare then, I must say, not much has changed. I am two years further along in my research so there are families I’ll be looking for that I didn’t know about in 2018.
HERE ARE SOME SCENES FROM 2018 THAT REMIND ME OF THE FUN I'M ABOUT TO HAVE
(CLICK ON ANY IMAGE TO ENLARGE IT)
THINGS I’M LOOKING FORWARD TO
- Meeting face to face some of the people who have been my virtual friends for several years
- Attending some of the many classes that are offered each of the four days. It’s very difficult to choose which ones to attend.
- Walking through and experiencing all the vendors in the exhibit hall. I’ve heard reports there will be as many as 200 of them.
- Being able to share my passion for family research with my friend of over 30 years and helping her with her research.
- Spending time at the FHL and hoping to find some of the hidden treasures and dare I hope….break down a brick wall.
- Being around others who share my love for our ancestors and making sure they are never forgotten.
WHAT I’VE DONE TO PREPARE
- I long ago made my reservation for the conference and my hotel reservation at the Plaza. And, of course, my plane reservation.
- Over the past several months I have been making a list of the people, places and things I want to look for. Whether it’s microfilm or books. I keep this list in Evernote so it is with me on all my devices.
- I do all my work on my desktop PC. Of course I’ll need to take my laptop and I’ll be taking my iPad. I’ve made sure that everything that’s on my desktop is also on my laptop. All the programs I use for editing, my Legacy program etc. are all synced up.
- I’ve made new “business” cards so that I can share them with the people I meet. My genealogy is not really a business, but it’s an easy way to share websites, email and phone numbers with others.
- I’ve downloaded the Rootstech app to all my devices.
- I’ve pre selected the classes I’d like to attend. They are first come first serve, so I also need to be sure I have a second choice for that time slot.
- I’ve washed and packed all my clothes. I hope I’ve chosen wisely and brought enough layers.
I’ve secured my ride to the airport. A huge thanks to my husband for getting up so early to take me ♥
Now…..I just wait until Sunday for my flight and let the fun begin.
I wonder how all of you prepare your lists when you are going to visit a place like the Family History Library or some other repository?
Here’s a sample of 2 of my 6 pages of “Things to look for at the FHL.” I know some people use Excel and I have used that method in the past as well. But, not this year.
If you will be at Rootstech this year, please look me up. I’d love to meet you. You can find me on the attendee list as Diane Gould Hall.
Happy hunting…….and Rootstech 10 – Here I Come!!
Copyright © 2010-2020 Diane Gould Hall
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO USE WITHOUT PERMISSION