First I would like to wish you all a very Merry Christmas. I hope you spent time with family or friends, or doing something you loved.
WHAT ARE SOME TRADITIONS THAT YOU REMEMBER FROM YOUR FAMILY?
Here are some things I remember.
- My Dad loved to decorate and would always put up lots of lights. Even later in his life when he lived in an apartment he would decorate the stair railing.
- We always had a live tree in our house. However, at my paternal grandparent’s house they had one of those little fake ones. The kind that really looked fake (back in the 1950’s).
- I also remember that the same grandparents had bubble lights on their tree.
- My Dad’s mom was a great cook. She always had a special salad with the holiday meal and I still have it to this day. It’s very refreshing with the meal. A piece of pineapple layed on top of some iceberg lettuce. On that you put a good size piece of cream cheese and top it with a cherry. Then you drizzle a dressing over it that’s made from the cherry juice and a little mayonnaise. Sounds crazy, but it tastes good.
- And, how about tinsel? Did you use it? Was it carefully placed on the tree or thrown on in a more haphazard fashion? Ours was very carefully placed.
- My parents always made sure we had a good Christmas. We sure weren’t rich, but they made Christmas special.
- Special gifts I remember are: A musical cat that rolled over. Her tail would go around as the music played and it would make her roll over. I named was “Princess.” And my little pink donkey, “Waggy.”
I was about 8 years old when I realized Santa wasn’t real. I had to keep it a secret though, because my brother was 2 1/2 years younger and I couldn’t spoil it for him. Can’t believe I didn’t tell him. It would have been the naughty sister thing to do.
What are your Christmas memories? Please share them in your comments here or on your own blog and leave me a link so I can read it.
PREVIOUS CHRISTMAS POSTS YOU MAY LIKE
Christmas Then & Now - With Family & Friends
Seasons Greetings to All My Readers
Copyright © 2015 Diane Gould Hall
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO USE WITHOUT PERMISSION