According to online information these are some of the historical moments that occurred on this date.
- 1580 - The Book of Concord was first published. The book is a collection of doctrinal standards of the Lutheran Church.
- 1788 - Virginia ratified the U.S. Constitution and became the 10th state of the United States.
- 1867 - Lucien B. Smith patented the first barbed wire.
- 1876 - Lt. Col. Custer and the 210 men of U.S. 7th Cavalry were killed by Sioux and Cheyenne Indians at Little Big Horn in Montana. The event is known as "Custer's Last Stand."
- 1938 - Gaelic scholar Douglas Hyde was inaugurated as the first president of the Irish Republic.
- 1950 - North Korea invaded South Korea initiating the Korean War.
- 1998 - Microsoft's "Windows 98" was released to the public.
WHICH MEMBERS OF OUR FAMILY WERE BORN, GOT MARRIED OR DIED ON THIS DATE?
1794 – Daniel VAUGHT
1885 – Katherine “Katie” GILLEN
1943 – Suzanne DOLLER
Unknown year – Florence COCCO
1901 – Raphael HUNTER to Helena HILL
1875 – Mary Susan VERMILLION
1910 – Rachel SCOVELL
1921 – John THORNTON
1944 – Lt. Robert Gillen EASTON (killed in action-WWII)
1947 – Mary “Mariett” AINSWORTH
NOTE: I did not select this date for any particular reason. However, it is interesting to note that the oldest record (being that of Daniel Vaught), is directly related to that German family I found records for at the Family History Library. He is the grandson of Johann Everhard Martin & Jacobina Elizabeth Wunderlich. You can find my post that talks about those German records here FAMILY HISTORY LIBRARY TRIP - Day 2 - A Red Letter Day! I have a LOT more research to do on this part of the family.
What happened in your family on this date?
OTHER POSTS THAT MAY BE OF INTEREST
ON THIS DATE IN OUR FAMILY - MARCH 24th
please contact me if you think you might be related, even remotely, to anyone mentioned in this blog.
Copyright © 2015 Diane Gould Hall
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. NO USE WITHOUT PERMISSION
Post a Comment
I look forward to reading your comments. If you have any connection to the people mentioned in this blog, please let me know. I write about mine and my husband's ancestors and would welcome new information or meeting a new cousin or two. Thanks for visiting and come back soon.